PMCE were appointed to develop a preliminary road design for a low-cost safety improvement scheme at Mungret and Boland’s Cross, Co. Limerick at a high collision location on the N69. The design was informed by an analysis of historical collisions to determine the collision pattern at this location.
The design sought to mitigate rear end shunt collisions on the R859 at its junction with the N69, and included:
- The realignment of the R859 regional road and the L1403 local road;
- Signalisation of the N69 and R859 junction;
- Provision for a future fourth northern arm at the junction;
- Cycle facilities on both sides of the N69 between Boland’s Cross and the N69/R859 junction;
- Provision/upgrading of high-quality footpath on both sides of the N69 to DMURS requirements; and
- Traffic modelling of the proposed signalised junction using OSCADY traffic modelling software.
The preliminary design was delivered in 2019 and is a good example of the design capability within PMCE. PMCE also provided PSDP services for this project.