Road Safety Audit Stage 3
Client: Clifton Scannell Emerson Associates (CSEA)
The N3 Mulhuddart Interchange carries the R121 Regional Road over the N3 National Primary route at Blanchardstown, west Co. Dublin. The upgrade works involved:-
- the construction of a new four-span bridge on the western side of the existing interchange overbridge to carry northbound R121 traffic through the junction;
- the reconfiguration of the existing bridge to cater for one-way southbound R121 traffic through the junction;
- improved pedestrian facilities and the provision of cycle facilities throughout the junction, tying in with existing provisions on the adjacent road network;
- the widening of the Blanchardstown Road North, Blanchardstown Road South and the R121 Old Navan Road on the approaches to the interchange, and widening of the N3 westbound on/off ramps;
- the extension of existing bus lanes on Blanchardstown Road North and Blanchardstown Road South to the proposed signalised junction; and
- the relocation of the N3 eastbound on & off-ramps
PMCE Ltd. completed the Stage 3 Road Safety Audit in April 2014 in response to a commission from Clifton Scannell Emerson Associates.
The Audit Team visited the site on the 14th of October 2014 and this consisted of day time and night time inspections of the scheme. This involved walking and driving through the scheme and identifying issues in relation to road safety that may result in collisions or hazards to motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.